The Bottom Line


Agree
1.      “‘…the best argument for choice is to enable poor people to have the same rights and opportunities that rich people already have by virtue of being rich.’” (Pg. 193)
One of the biggest things for students I will always fight for as an educator is that my students will be given the same opportunities as one another. Being someone who was born into a less fortunate family, I have too often seen my peers be given opportunities simply on the grounds that they were born into families that can give them the instant gratification of attending school functions and be able to represent the school and class simply because of their status.

2.      “…teachers…spend more time with students preparing for tests, and students who fail these tests are left back for another year or don’t graduate.” (Pg. 181)
When I attended high school, I often felt like I was being taught to be a test taking machine rather than earning an education with lifelong value that I can take with me. I have seen standardized tests hold back students who are truly bright and smart, but because they were poor test takers, they had to suffer the consequences and be told they didn’t make the cut. I agree that we are spending more and too much time with test prep rather than teaching life relevant materials they will need to be prepared for the real world.

Argue
1.      “…reformers believed that schools should be modeled after the corporation and marketplace.” (Pg. 174)
Schools should not be transactional institutions where we place students into classes expecting factory-like results. Schools are often seen as places where we expect students to meet a certain standard and it is so unfair to expect students to function properly in such rigid curriculums and demanding classes. There is a difference between setting a standard and pushing students to improve, and to make students feel like they aren’t good enough when they are struggling to meet those standards.

2.      “‘I am not convinced that God or religion is going to hurt these little children in these schools.’” (Pg. 195)
In my opinion, God and religion have no place in public schools. Public schools should be neutral places that educate without the bias of religion because everyone has their own identities, beliefs, cultures, and views on religious practices. God has been a figure that has in fact hurt children because some fear this image of an angry god that will strike them down based on their identities (being gay, transgender, doubting their family’s religion, etc.) Schools should be a place where everyone feels welcome and not like one bias is pressured onto them.

Assume
1.      “…there was a tremendous advantage to being at the bottom. You can afford to be a risk taker.” (Pg. 188)
Being at the bottom has its benefits because you can take the risks and not fear the repercussions. I assume that this is because there is much room for improvement with schools that are considered “low-tiered”, which gives them the ability to take part in trial and errors with the way they shape their curriculum to see what works best for their students. This could raise ethical questions though because you are putting the wellbeing of many students’ educations on the line in the name of trying to improve a broken system.

2.      “‘There is a tendency in many cities nowadays to develop a kind of lifeboat mentality where the politicians and some of the educators sort of sigh and say, well, we are not going to save most of these kids, let’s at least start a number of very attractive, spectacular little schools.’” (Pg. 192)
It is safe to assume that cities will tend to brush schools under the rug that aren’t doing so well, yet will highlight and promote schools that are outperforming others. It is my assumption that they feel that those successful schools are more marketable and less problematic and deserving of the attention. It is without a doubt unfair and unjust that they look at the public school system as a sink or swim situation, allowing those who are fortunate to have been allowed in the lifeboats to stay afloat while other students are student in an academic Titanic.

Aspire
1.      “…offering small classes and a rigorous curriculum…” (Pg. 194)
As a music teacher, one of my hopes for my everyday classes would be to have smaller classes in which I can personally cater to each student and their needs during our periods with one another. With a better student to teacher ratio, it is easier to address any concerns students have without the fear of not giving the other students a fair shot at having my help. With this I would also be able to challenge my students more without worrying that they won’t have the chance to look for help. Having smaller classes also gives us a chance to develop a better overall classroom dynamic where hopefully the students have a stronger relationship with one another through discussion and group activities.

2.      “Parents have far more choices among schools than they did a quarter-century ago.” (pg. 180)
I feel it is always best for parent to have choices in where they can bring their children for their education. I someday aspire to see more specialized schools where students can go to schools and study with other students they can identify with. Much like the Harvey Milk school for LGBTQ youth, I hope to see more schools for students that long to learn in a school filled with people of their personal communities.


Comments

  1. Hi Jason! For this assignment, as I was preparing my own blog, I had written up to 5 things I agreed, argued, assumed, and aspired with, hoping to choose the "top" 2. I find it very interesting that you and I both agreed that “…teachers…spend more time with students preparing for tests.” (181). It's sad to say, but I strongly believe teachers are focused in preparing students for state exams opposed to creating a fun and educational environment. I say this because I have witnessed it myself. However, some if not all teacher's have members of higher authority demanding to reach high test scores at whatever cost... and as a future teacher myself, I believe I will also be placed in that situation. If you ask me, most assessments are for profit-- the company giving out such exams make money when other schools provide that same assessment. Whatever the case may be, there should be a time and place to prep students for such exams, but not vigorously! Students (i.e. high schools students) may have up to 8 different classes, 8 sets of homework, work outside of school, home (if not other) responsibilities, AND still have to be prepped for state exams? It is mind-blowing! Though teachers have other responsibilities, I feel there should be a set game plan that can incorporate: teaching, prepping, and make learning fun! But that's just my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jason,

    #2 in your agree section is absolutely perfect!! I also agree that constantly taking tests does not lead to remembering the information learned. In fact, students tend to cram so hard for exams that once they finish taking the test the information totally vanishes from their brain, it was so easy to memorize all the information to release it all on the exam and forget it completely. It's sad to say that I hardly remember anything from previous years of school, it was all in the moment education where I could maybe remember it for the marking period, semester or school year and after that I would not be able to recall what I learned and should have retained.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jason,

    Your experience within the school system is very relatable to my own experiences. I fully understand that the taking of tests felt like it did not allow students to show their full potential. Really good point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with your and your classmates commenting here on the stress on test taking. We need to change it and focus on GOOD TEACHING!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Value of Education for Minorities

Rags to Reading: My Journey with Literacy

Looking Through Lenses